This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure for more information.
Minecraft Canvas Art
Summer 2016, we had moved to a new city and my eldest son was a little sad because he was leaving his friends from school. As a mother, I didn’t like to see my child so sad, even though he tells me he’s fine. A mother always knows when there is sadness to her child.
My son felt distant for a couple of weeks, so one morning I got all my kids to go with me to Jo-ann’s Craft, Michael’s, and Home Depot to pick up some supplies to create Minecraft decor for my eldest sons bedroom. I thought this would be a fun thing to do and talk about it with my son while his little brothers are busy with their own craft. It’s worth a try, why not?
- 8×8 Canvas
- Acrylic paints
- Paint Brushes (different sizes)
- Ice tray (used for placing or mixing paint)
- Bowl of water (used for rinsing the paint brush)
- Newspaper (used to protect our dining table)
- Example drawing found at Pinterest
First, we used a ruler to mark 1″ increments from left to right, up and down on the canvas.
Then, laid out newspaper to protect our dining table. Then start painting.
I needed a tall dresser for my sons room and found this on Offer Up for $20.
First, I laid out a tarp to protect the carpeting and moved the dresser on top of it. I wiped it down, to make sure that it’s clean and smooth, and then I removed the handles.
I bought the paint at Home Depot. And these are the ones that are on the color sample containers.
In my opinion, one small container was more than enough to use for this dresser. My son helped me picked the appropriate color that matches the Minecraft character (Creeper).
- Start wiping the dresser down. Then placed the painters tape for the eyes/nose/frown mouth (I will get measurements in a bit).
- Once the painters tape is done.
- Paint green and let it dry (repeat this process for bolder color).
- Remove the painters tape slowly.
- Used my smaller paint brush for eyes/nose/frown mouth with black acrylic paint and let it dry (repeat this process for bolder color).
- Once the black paint is dry, then Mod podge to seal it.
- Let it dry overnight